Thursday, April 24, 2008

Folk Art and Amazon Women

This post is in response to KR's wonderful blog about Mongolian Amazon Warrior Princesses, which gave me license to post what I have been thinking ever since we read about the Mosuo.



James Harold Jennings, an untrained outsider artist, lived in Pennacle, North Carolina, in a school bus by the side of the road. He painted pictures depicting mythical modern-day Amazon women. Whether they were beating up bad boys and lyons, riding motorcycles, or raiding James's Art World, they were tough warriors, who sought to make a statement about their prowess and dominion.

I bet James would be happy to learn that there is evidence that Amazon Women existed. If he were still here, I'd be sure to let him know. At least his fantasy is still alive in his art.







5 comments:

Desirepath said...

Lisa, I'm so glad you enjoyed my post. I've been a bit remiss with my blogging,and so I'm trying to make up for it. I love the picture of the Lyon and the Amazon. On first glance it looks like the woman is giving birth to the lion, or maybe the lion is birthing the woman? Either way, I like the imagery. I've really appreciated your perspective in this course.

Jeanette B said...

Hi Lisa,
Love this post. I went online and searched for James Harold Jennings for print/posters since $1500 was a bit steep. Thanks for introducing me to something beautiful and new. Jeanette

Lisa Eller said...

Since the early 1980s, James sold his work for nothing, mainly because he was called to make it by the "sun, moon, and stars" and really didn't equate monetary value with it. As he grew more and more popular, and art pickers and galleries began to demand his work for their clients, his prices went up. After his death, the price of his work really went up. I have a few pieces, but I didn't pay anywhere near $1500 for them.

teeep said...

Of course not you did not pay that much because if it was not for Mike you would nt have ever been exposed to this fine art. What a poser can't you find something a little more original?

Lisa Eller said...

I'm not sure why you are commenting on a blog I created for a class on China I was taking this spring at UNC-G. Please feel free to identify yourself since you seem to have some sort of animosity to express. I feel it is only right for me to understand the source of the negative energy you have sent my way.